“Pray for the peace of Jerusalem…For the sake of my brothers and my friends, I will now say, ‘May peace be within you.’” — Psalm 122:6, 9 (NASB)
This past Shabbat, on what was to be one of the most joyous days on the Jewish Calendar (the end of the Feast of Tabernacles and the celebration of Shemini Atzeret – a day when Jewish people celebrate one more day in the Lord’s presence after the seven-day Feast of Sukkot – and ‘Simchat Torah’ – the Joy of the Word of God), the people of Israel endured their darkest day in a generation.
As of this afternoon, only two days after Israeli borders were breached, over 700 Israelis have been confirmed dead, either fighting for their country against those who wish to destroy it, or murdered innocently at parties, in the streets of their towns, and in their own homes and living rooms. And, shockingly, many nations around the world are already responding by vilifying the nation of Israel and the Jewish people – whitewashing the atrocities of militant terrorists!
In the midst of such unprecedented terror on Israeli soil, and as heart-wrenching photos and videos continue to surface on international media, it is hard to know what to do, or how to pray...
Today, it’s important to remember that for all of us who call upon the name of the Lord, the Jewish people and their neighbors suffering and mourning in the Land of Israel and the over 130 Israelis currently being held hostage or tortured in the Gaza Strip are not just headlines or numbers; as David declared, we say that they are “our brothers and our friends.” And so we pray for peace — for shalom. Pray with us:
- That IDF units and those working with them would quickly and entirely neutralize all remaining terrorists hiding or wreaking further havoc within the borders of Israel, bringing peace to the cities and kibbutzim that have been attacked
- That Israel would quickly eliminate all Hamas strongholds and neutralize all those attempting to attack Israel from any side right now, thereby restoring peace to the region
- For comfort and shalom for families mourning the loss of friends and loved ones who paid the ultimate price defending their country or who were murdered in cold blood while going about their daily lives
- For shalom beyond understanding for those awaiting news about the condition or whereabouts of family members dragged across the borders of Gaza. And pray these hostages are released alive!
- For peace in the hearts of Jewish Believers throughout Israel – some of whom have already lost children to the war. Pray the Lord would strengthen and comfort them so they can be a light and a comfort to their communities in Yeshua’s (Jesus’) name
- For Believers currently engaged in active combat and serving in sensitive military operations – there are many. Pray that the Lord would cause His peace to reign in their hearts as they defend the Land God gave to the Jewish people and as they defend those living in it. Pray for strength, wisdom, and protection for these brave men and women in Yeshua’s name
- For peace between Messianic Jews and Arab Christians – that the unity of the Holy Spirit would enable them to remain in strong relationship with each other during a time when those relationships are tried like never before
- For our 85+ partner ministries (congregations, para congregational ministries, mercy ministries, emergency response organizations, etc.) throughout Israel – especially those located in southern Israel – that God would give them wisdom, divine strategy, and protection as they begin to respond in the midst of this crisis
- That many in Israel would, in the midst of this dark hour, encounter and experience the Prince of Peace and come to know their promised Messiah, Yeshua, who binds up the brokenhearted and who gives peace that this world cannot give
We will keep you updated throughout the coming days on ways you can pray, and we’ll do our best to keep you updated on events on the ground as we remain in touch with family, friends, and ministry partners in Israel.
Thank you for your enduring love for Israel and the Jewish people. Now, more than ever, they need your care, your support, your advocacy, and your prayers. And now, more than ever, we ask you to join us in praying for the peace of Jerusalem (Ps 122:6) and for all those dwelling in the Land of Israel.
Jonathan Bernis & Ezra Benjamin
Pray for Israel
Do you want to know how to pray for Israel in greater detail and depth? Jewish Voice Ministries has put together this prayer guide for Israel that provides focused, targeted prayer points to help you pray for the nation of God's People. Download your prayer guide today and pray your support for Israel.